Date / Venue:
21 October 2016, Meanwhile.in.texas LIVE @ Gusto Vinile Vinylpub, Brindisi, Italy
Info / Links:
“meanwhile.in.texas solo project started about two years ago with the intention to combine elements of ambient, noise, drone and field recordings. Influenced by ambient, post-rock and drone music, usually uses electric and acoustic guitars, keyboards, analogue synthesizers, computer-soundsources, mixers and drum machines to build a kind of multi-layered, instrumental soundscapes. Before making the first two records, he worked with some art galleries and visual artists and released a long track on the amazing manyfeetunder/homemadelabel. […] Dark and atmospheric ambient sounds are mixed with noise elements, isolationist drones and obscure guitar movements. The soundscapes, created with keyboards and self-made drone machines, really stand out.” [via]
- “Fernweh” is the first collaboration between the two Italian music projects Skag Arcade (Paolo Colavita) & meanwhile.in.texas, born out of the common will to freely experiment with the widest range of sounds & frequencies possible (using & drawing from drones, samples & found sounds of every kind), in order to explore new sonic possibilities & to build up hauntingly evocative and unsettling soundscapes, regardless of binding & restraining boundaries. […] The album consists of two extended, hypnotic load-bearing drones, which in turn are composed of different micro-sequences & several layers of acidly manipulated synths & buzzing guitar feedbacks merging into each other, with an eerie, lysergic vibe of hopelessness on the background. Out on the already-cult Swiss tape label LUCE SIA (catalogue number 010), Fernweh is available on white C40 cassettes, in a limited edition of 60 numbered copies;
- Take Black Pills inhabits a large expanse of those aesthetics. Materials are taken from various demo works recorded in 2014. Corrosive ambient catharsis that is well recommended for lovers of conceptual minimal arts, hypnotic music and doomic post rockin experiments. Lmtd edition of 40 copies, out on the French Triple Moon Records; [a nice review about this record can be read here on Flux webzine]
- Out on the uncompromising Spanish tape label Craneal Fracture Records (catalogue number 097), Mirror Movements is now available on white C30 cassettes;
• Behringer Eq700 Graphic Equalizer • Boss DF-2 Super Feedbacker & Distortion • Lonesome Machines Triangle Drone Generator • Lonesome Machines Square Wave Drone Generator • Lonesome Machines Fuzz Stutter • Lonesome Machines Resonant Low-Pass Filter • Guitar & keyboards samples [played and recorded by himself] • Akai Professional LPD8 • KORG nanoKONTROL2 • Laptop • M-Audio M-Track MKII
- The artist is also the man behind Lonesome Machines [FB, Website], a portal for selling his own handcrafted effects pedals; go check them out!
- If you want to know more about meanwhile.in.texas project, influences and more interesting stuff you can go check this nice interview by DarkUndergroundMusicZine
Are you enjoying what you see on PAYNOMINDTOUS? If that’s the case, we’d like to kindly ask you to subscribe to our newsletter, our Facebook group, and also to consider donating a few cents to our cause. Your help would be of great relevance to us, thank you so much for your time!
PAYNOMINDTOUS is a non-profit organization registered in December 2018, operating since late 2015 as a webzine and media website. In early 2017, we started our own event series in Turin, IT focused on arts, experimental, and dancefloor-oriented music. We reject every clumsy invocation to “the Future” meant as the signifier for capitalistic “progress” and “innovation”, fully embracing the Present instead; we renounce any reckless and ultimately arbitrary division between “high” and “low”, respectable and not respectable, “mind” and “body”; we support and invite musicians, artists, and performers having diverse backgrounds and expressing themselves via variegated artistic practices.
Cristina Ruggieri (’93, Alba) completed her studies at Accademia di Belle Arti, Turin. Beside messing around with materials, she’s passionate about the overall listening experience, whether is it live or in her bedroom filled with stuffed animals.